Monday, August 19, 2013

Kitchen Experimenting

Once again I'm getting creative in the kitchen.

Ok not too terribly creative....and for once my exploits have yielded something decently healthy for frequent consumption.

I'm a huge fan of the Amy's Tofu Scramble breakfast burrito. I'm not so huge a fan of the price. So I decided I was going to figure out how to make one myself

I grabbed a few containers of a great tofu, by Cleveland Tofu, and looked up a few dozen recipes online, and took a little of what I liked from each. 

I came up with a vegan breakfast scramble, that I can make into a burrito, and I actually like it better than the Amy's version. 



Tofu Scramble
4 servings

1 lb extra firm, non silken tofu
1 medium onion
½ green bell pepper
½ tsp granulated garlic
½ tsp kosher salt
½ tsp tumeric
½ cup water
1 TBS olive oil
Fresh cracked black pepper

1. Drain tofu over night, or press for 1 hour
2. Crumble tofu into large skillet on medium heat
3. Combine garlic, salt, and tumeric until evenly mixed, and no clumps
4. Sprinkle spices over tofu, and stir, slowly adding water until a uniform color
5. Dice onion and green pepper, add to skillet and drizzle with olive oil
6. Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently until onions are translucent and peppers are tender
7. Add pepper to taste and enjoy

Goes very well wrapped in a tortilla for a to go breakfast snack.

Can make and freeze wraps ahead of time:
Make wrap, be sure to warm tortilla first so it rolls nicely and doesn't crack apart.
put about ½ cup scramble in the middle of an 8 inch wrap, and roll up
Place on cookie sheet so not touching and let cool completely
Once cool place in freeze. Once frozen, wrap individually and store in airtight container in freezer.

The hardest part about this is not eating it all!

I plugged this into a few food calculators online, and as far as nutrition goes:
Per serving:
~135 Calories
~8 g carbs
~9 g fat
~9 g protein

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happier than watching red pandas playing in the snow!
Questions, Constructive Suggestions and Warm Fuzzies are ALWAYS welcome!