Friday, December 7, 2012

Christmas Crafting Countdown

OK, it's been an interesting week, both good and bad.

The weekend.

I'm still not sure if the weekends are a glorious invention for the work weary, or just a horrible tease for those wanting a vacation. Either way, we spent a quiet, relaxing weekend at home, each working on our own pet projects (of which I have too many), and watching movies together. I put all the cookies I had managed to make in ziploc baggies to go into work on Monday with the hubby. He also decided to make cottage pie to take in, which of course we had practically nothing for it. So off to the store.

Those that know me, know my loathing of driving this time of year. Not because of the weather, but because everyone else seems to forget how to drive, on top of forgetting politeness, kindness, and generosity, you know, all those things this time of year is about. An turn signals become Christmas lights, and completely optional. Yeah. Please people, if you go to the store, park in the flipping parking spaces! That's what they're there for, USE THEM! Please. But anywho, we got in, got what we needed, and got out.

It was a particularly sleepy weekend at that, and we almost forgot to make the food, we were so warm and snuggled under the blankets watching a movie. ::Sigh:: can't wait to do that again. The cottage pie turned out really yummy, although he added bacon, which really through me off since I don't expect that flavor, but it was still great. Sorry, I didn't get any pictures, but I will share my recipe for Cottage Pie (Shepherd's pie, but with beef instead of lamb)

Shepherd's Pie (Or Cottage Pie)
Left over mashed potatoes abour 2 cups
1 onion, chopped
1 bag frozen veggies of choice thawed, I use the peas, corn, carrots, green beans blend
1 lb ground meat (beef, turkey, lamb, etc)
3 TBS flour
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, rosemary, and thyme to taste
2 cups broth

Sautee the onions and veggies until tender, I toss in a little butter for extra flavor. In another pan, brown the meat, and drain excess fat. combine into large skillet, and add flour, seasonings, and broth. Bring to simmer and simmer about 3 minutes, or until thickened.
Put the meat mixture in a casserole pan, and stop with mashed potatoes. Bake at 400ºF for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are slightly golden and hot and bubbly.

Monday rolled around with it's usual fan fare. Grumpy mornings, lots of coffee, and trying to convince myself not to tell hubby to call off work so we can snuggle and sleep more (I think I always ask at least once). But up and away and off went the cookies and cottage pie. Both were a hit. Apparently several people asked for the recipes too! Got the house all tidied up for the day, and spent a nice evening relaxing.

Wednesday I finally got to crafting!! I made more lotion bars. Well I attempted to. I mixed everything like I have for the past few batches, but somehow I managed to melt my mold! So instead of pretty little bars I ended up with wonky shaped pieces all interconnected. I also somehow ended up with almost 2 oz more at the end than I did the first time around...still haven't figure that one out! On top of melting my favorite mold, I also think I managed to burn every finger at some point. My poor aloe plant can't be happy with me.

Mom and I ended up going hunting at the local craft store for unsuspecting little goodies to work with. Mom found some really cute little mini ornaments, and I found the magnet sheets I needed to make some fridge toys for my girlfriends little girl, the Monkey. She LOVES Madagascar, and a while ago I found some little wooden animals of lion, zebra, giraffe, and hippo. I think I let out a little squeal at the store :). Since I found those, I also found patterns to make the penguins in crochet from that movie, on Wolf Dreamer that I want to try out.

Thursday mom had her shoulder surgery, so I dropped her off at about 10, and went about my day. I got the magnets on the animals, and got them sealed so no worries about splinters or paint chipping off as kids that age always manage to put everything in their mouth at some point. Don't worry I put another coat on top of the modge podge of beeswax to make it mouth safe. I know modge podge is non-toxic, but I feel better knowing there's a layer of natural between the Monkey and her new fridge pets.

I made a cute little present for my sister, but, because a certain someone has a REALLY hard time keeping a  secret, I'm not going to say what or post a picture until after she gets it :) I also started and ripped out probably about 5 patterns for my mother-in-law, trying to find something nice, but quick enough that I'll actually have it done in time for Christmas.

When I went back to pick up mom around 4, they couldn't discharge her, because for some reason she wasn't able to keep her oxygen saturation up high enough. After trying several different things, they finally decided to keep her overnight. Today she was fine, and the Dr's can only suggest that it was simply that her body took a little longer than normal to get back up to speed after the surgery. Spent the better part of the day with mom today, had to get her to the pharmacy to get a script filled, and she needed a few things at the store, which going shopping with mom is never a quick job, but today was even longer than normal because of how much pain she was in. Finally got her home and settled, and fed, and medication in her, and she was heading to sleep when I left.

One good thing about the hours at the hospital, I managed to settle on a pattern and get about 1/4 of it done. Now I have to wait for my wrist to stop aching before I can work any more! Perhaps tonight I can try to make lotion in a mason jar instead. I have some rose oil, and since that is probably my favorite scent, I'm excited to try. If I get to make it, I'll take some pics, and share. Hopefully this will turn out better than my last batch!

Count so far - 1 present completely finished, 7 presents mostly finished, 1 present slightly finished, and 1 present I still have no clue on....yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me happier than watching red pandas playing in the snow!
Questions, Constructive Suggestions and Warm Fuzzies are ALWAYS welcome!